Vakros Atlas 2 Computer legal? Anemometer

Guest Adam

Guest Adam

Is the Vakros Atlas 2 Computer legal? What about an anemometer on the top of the mast?  I saw a local boat using it and from the rule I am not sure it should be allowed.  Just curious.   

Thanks,

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

There was a survey sent to the class recently (in the last month or so), and one of the questions was about devices such as the Vakros 2. I do not believe it is class legal. The anemometer is not class legal.

Relevant sections in the Class Rules are (emphasis added)

C.5.3 Optional

(a) FOR USE WHILE RACING

1. (i) Electronic or mechanical timing devices, but not capable of providing any other tactical or navigation information, except as provided in (iv), below.
    (ii) At least one compass, either magnetic card or digital type capable of instantaneous readout and heading trend information, but not capable of providing any other tactical or navigation information, except as provided in (iv), below. The compass may be GPS- enabled, but shall not give location information.

2. (iii) At least one instrument capable of giving speed through the water, or over the bottom, but not capable of providing any other tactical or navigation information, except as provided in (iv), below. The speed instrument may be GPS-enabled, but shall not give location information.
    (iv) Instruments providing a combination of the functions of (i), (ii) and/or (iii) above but not capable of providing any other tactical or navigation information.

C.7.3. FITTINGS – OPTIONAL
(a) FOR USE WHILE RACING

(vi) Any non-electronic wind indicator may be positioned in the masthead, sail and/or rigging.

• 2 months later...

The atlas 2 can be locked in preset class compliment modes. See their blog here:

https://blog.vakaros.com/classcompliant

So you can make a mode/interface that aligns with the class rules. The unit keeps a log of what data was taken when which can be audited by the class measurer and Connor be tampered. So an Atlas2 with the start line function removed is completely legal. You can also add the they hull transducer for speed through the water. No wind data is allowed.

• 2 weeks later...