Lifting Bar Installation Question

JavaJoe

Earlier this year I bought a J/22 and it came with both a single point ring for the aft keel boat, and a lifting bar to span the aft 2 keel bolts. However, the aft bolt is considerably longer to accommodate the single point ring. In order to use the lifting bar I would need to remove the nuts from the keel bolts, place the bar on the bolts, and then the nuts on top. 

Is that the intended design? Or do I really need a new, longer keel bolt?

Note the boat uses the older bar (pre #1263)

TIA.

I have an older (1986) J22, it has the two bolt lifting bar.  Yes remove the nuts and place the bar on the keel bolts. Just make sure you torque the nuts evenly and to manufacture specs.  Bolt Diameter    Torque Ft/Lb.

1/2                    19

5/8                    48

3/4                    95

7/8                    140

1                        165

1 1/8                  309

And go back 24 hours later to check torque, that is a standard machine shop practice. Note those are bolt size NOT nut size.

Thanks for the response. 

Oddly the holes in the bar are like 1/32 of an inch too small so we’ll need to fins someone with an industrial drill press to enlarge the hole if we want to use this one, But I’d feel better using the bar over the single point lift.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2023 at 6:27 PM, JavaJoe said:

Thanks for the response. 

Oddly the holes in the bar are like 1/32 of an inch too small so we’ll need to fins someone with an industrial drill press to enlarge the hole if we want to use this one, But I’d feel better using the bar over the single point lift.

I installed the bar a long time ago.  It took a little fitting to make it work. I had to buy the U-bolt and have a friend with a car repair shop drill the holes - it was easy for him.  It's a great set up.  Distributes the boat's weight across 2 keel bolts and moves the center of gravity forward a little.

• 2 months later...

Would anyone in this thread be willing to post dimensions of their lifting bar? I'm having one made.

I would want to know the:

l/w and thickness of bar

l/w of thickness of vertical bit

Hole/slot diameter

Hole/slot spacing

D-ring / shackle size.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 2:25 PM, Cole said:

Would anyone in this thread be willing to post dimensions of their lifting bar? I'm having one made.

I would want to know the:

l/w and thickness of bar

l/w of thickness of vertical bit

Hole/slot diameter

Hole/slot spacing

D-ring / shackle size.

I could...I have a new one that's not installed yet. Give me an email address to send the dimensions to.

@ghurwitch Thanks for your willingness to help. I ended up guessing on some things and making some measurements myself. Here's the drawing I made and gave to a local welding shop. I'm posting it here for anyone who comes across this thread looking for the same. My hull number is #26. I installed this yesterday and it fits well. should fit unmodified older hulls I think.

J22 Lifting Bar V2.pdf

• 9 months later...