Mast Base location

I went to step the mast on my recently acquired 22 (#718) and could not get the mast base to line up with the step. It acts like the step is too far to the rear. This makes the mast base interfere with the cabin top and the sea hood. If I could get the mast vertical, it will fit, but i've always (on my 3 previous boats) just walked the mast back, lined up the rear pin holes, slid in the pin and stood up the mast.

Does anyone know a way to check the location of the base? the rules stipulate a location but no way to see what the measurement points are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting...Several years ago I was helping a frriend set up a J/22 and we ran into the same problem. I could never find PLAN A? In conversations with sailmakers the location could be significant...CENTER OF EFFORT (COE)? If it's out of spec. and they made 10 other boats that way there is supposed to be some relief.

But, our fleet had a whole bunch of skinny TPI rudders and we could never gain any traction from the measurer's on that matter. J/24's used to have a very funky way of measureing that dimension and they finally fixed it. Good Luck

I spoke to the Class Office and they were very helpful. I got Plan A. The base was as far back as it could be and still be legal. I moved it about 10 mm forward (there is a 20 mm tolerance and it worked like a charm. Shes going in the water Saturday!

Archived