Trailer Tire Pressures

During the J/22 Worlds in Newport I was looking around at the tires on some of the trailers. It seems that trailer tread wear patterns have been a problem for some.

Personally I would not run my trailer tires at less than the max rated pressure listed on the sidewall. That mode gives good wear and puts the tire in a range for higher speeds.

Most special trailer tires are speed rated to 65 mph. Speed rated is not speed limited. Tire pressure can affect the speed range. Too little tire pressure is a greater sin than too much pressure. Consult your tire manufacturer information.

Below is some specific information for

Goodyear Marathon Tires

Special Trailer ("ST") Tires

Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as "ST" (Special Trailer) tires.

• Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

• Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

o Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.

o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

More info is here:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/Marathon_Special_Trailer_Applications.pdf

If the link doesn't work then just add www. to this

tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/Marathon_Special_Trailer_Applications.pdf

vic

Will,

Thanks. Carlisle agrees with the max inflation concept.

What Carlisle says:

Inflation

Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure. Low

inflation pressure elevates tread temperature, especially as speed

increases.

Review - Practices for Safe Trailer Tire Use

– Maintain air pressure at the maximum PSI recommended on the

tire sidewall.

@

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/cms_files/original/Trailer_Tires__Tips_Best_Practices.pdf

@

vic

Moderator:

I have been renewing my password because the site will not allow me access to change the password/user CP. Very frustrating.

Will,

Thanks. Carlisle agrees with the max inflation concept.

What Carlisle says:

Inflation

Underinflation is the number one cause of trailer tire failure. Low

inflation pressure elevates tread temperature, especially as speed

increases.

Review - Practices for Safe Trailer Tire Use

– Maintain air pressure at the maximum PSI recommended on the

tire sidewall.

@

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/cms_files/original/Trailer_Tires__Tips_Best_Practices.pdf

@

vic

Moderator:

I have been renewing my password because the site will not allow me access to change the password/user CP. Very frustrating.

Archived