speed puck

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Akirkpa

I think it isnt legal because it relies on external info from GPS in order to calculate speed. Does it calculate VMG ? Not sure....

It displays current speed and lift or knock, in increments not actual heading.Toggles between compass and average speed.No VMG or other calculations. I know the rules were written before GPS but it still electronic vs. mechanical, isn't it?

I'm not for or against it just like a definite answer. Tom with the puck.

I think it isnt legal because it relies on external info from GPS in order to calculate speed. Does it calculate VMG ? Not sure....

It does not calculate VMG, just speed and heading. It does have a lift/header function, which can be turned off to meet class rules.

It seems to be a question worthy of another look by the rules people. For $350 you get speed/heading, just like the legal TackTick Micronet system ($1800). And you don't have to drill thruhulls.

Guest Guest_cdoyle_*

Elsewhere on this website there is the following technical committee ruling:

"Electronic Compass - Head Lift Function?

Source: Summer 2000 Newsletter

Electronic compasses that display head/lift information are permitted. Instruments that perform calculations, that is receive or output information from speedometers, depth indicators, manual inputs of wind speed, inputs from GPS Instruments, etc., are not permitted."

I would say that the SpeedPuck performs calculations and gets "inputs from GPS Instruments." I know that the Class hierarchy views them as illegal.

Why don't you go ahead and pose the question to the Technical Committee and get an official answer. Or you could accept my opinion that the Class' current view is that they are not legal and you could propose a rule change that would make the speed puck (and other similar devices) legal.

The reason that these things are not legal is that they used to be expensive and the Class did not want to promote an arms race. Now that they are not so expensive, perhaps the prohibition is outdated.

The reason that these things are not legal is that they used to be expensive and the Class did not want to promote an arms race. Now that they are not so expensive, perhaps the prohibition is outdated.

The device is much cheaper than the legal Tacktick systems, which cost up to $2000. So maybe it should be considered. Many other one design classes allow it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Colleen Gallagher
Elsewhere on this website there is the following technical committee ruling:

"Electronic Compass - Head Lift Function?

Source: Summer 2000 Newsletter

Electronic compasses that display head/lift information are permitted. Instruments that perform calculations, that is receive or output information from speedometers, depth indicators, manual inputs of wind speed, inputs from GPS Instruments, etc., are not permitted."

I would say that the SpeedPuck performs calculations and gets "inputs from GPS Instruments." I know that the Class hierarchy views them as illegal.

Why don't you go ahead and pose the question to the Technical Committee and get an official answer. Or you could accept my opinion that the Class' current view is that they are not legal and you could propose a rule change that would make the speed puck (and other similar devices) legal.

• 5 months later...
Guest Guest_brianbeyyoung_*

Is something likely to be done on GPS sourced data soon? After losing by tacktick overboard I am not in class compliance because I don't have a compass on board. I'd like to remedy this early in 2010 and getting a speedpuck would also give me speed for less $$$...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest_Will_*

It might be worth noting that the Velocitek, Speed puck, etc., give you neither boatspeed or heading. They give COG and SOG ( course over ground and speed over ground).

I don't think any of them would qualify as a compass.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest_Will_*

I guess.. but when you are talking yacht instruments it's commonly accepted that boat speed equals speed through the water. B+G, Ockam and NKE all use that convention.

Guest Jeff Westcott
I guess.. but when you are talking yacht instruments it's commonly accepted that boat speed equals speed through the water. B+G, Ockam and NKE all use that convention.

Question for the experts. If you could have either a speed puck or a Tacktic, but not both, at this year's North Americans, which would you choose for your boat? And why? The answers to this question should light on the necessity of a rule change.

Guest Guest_CPrincing_*
Question for the experts. If you could have either a speed puck or a Tacktic, but not both, at this year's North Americans, which would you choose for your boat? And why? The answers to this question should light on the necessity of a rule change.

Tactic because it's legal.. Don't hold your breath waiting for the class to allow the Velocitek. Being a ISAF international class it is very difficult and time consuming to change class rules. To even warrant this issue for discussion it would need quite a few people behind it for the board to consider. What I mean is, if most people don't give a hoot, then there probably is no future. You could write a letter to the tech committee asking them to review this, that might be a start. Consider that as a ISAF class it takes years to get rule changes done.

All that being said, in Tawas, our fleet allows Velocitek's in our local racing. We do this for a couple of reasons. One reason is to help promote our fleet, that is we can downlaod and playback our races in the Bar afterwards. A replay of any race is a bar favorite and it shows other less inteligent people (read PHRF racer's) how much fun we have. The second reason we allow them is to hopefully help the newcomers get to speed. We can review a race with them and show them what the fast guys did to win that race. Come to think of it, maybe I should be paying attention...

Guest Jeff Westcott
Tactic because it's legal.. Don't hold your breath waiting for the class to allow the Velocitek. Being a ISAF international class it is very difficult and time consuming to change class rules. To even warrant this issue for discussion it would need quite a few people behind it for the board to consider. What I mean is, if most people don't give a hoot, then there probably is no future. You could write a letter to the tech committee asking them to review this, that might be a start. Consider that as a ISAF class it takes years to get rule changes done.

All that being said, in Tawas, our fleet allows Velocitek's in our local racing. We do this for a couple of reasons. One reason is to help promote our fleet, that is we can downlaod and playback our races in the Bar afterwards. A replay of any race is a bar favorite and it shows other less inteligent people (read PHRF racer's) how much fun we have. The second reason we allow them is to hopefully help the newcomers get to speed. We can review a race with them and show them what the fast guys did to win that race. Come to think of it, maybe I should be paying attention...

Guest Guest

Chris,

Thanks for the interesting comment, but you didn't answer my question which really wasn't retorical. If both were legal, but you could only have one, which would you choose? I was trying to get at the relative value of the different information provided by each instument in different racing circumstances (conditions and venues). By the way, I'm not necessarily pro speed puck.

Guest Guest_CPrincing_*
Chris,

Thanks for the interesting comment, but you didn't answer my question which really wasn't retorical. If both were legal, but you could only have one, which would you choose? I was trying to get at the relative value of the different information provided by each instument in different racing circumstances (conditions and venues). By the way, I'm not necessarily pro speed puck.

I guess if I could only choose one, it would be the velocitek, strictly based on finances.

Archived