Replacement Anchor

Well, there is a weight requirement in the class rules. So you want to satisfy that. In addition, you want something that works. We anchor a lot (we play cards when the race start is postponed), and it is not uncommon four three or four boats to hang off of our single anchor. I have found that the Danforth standard 8 pound anchor with four foot of chain satisfies the rule and works well.

From the rules:

"One anchor with or without chain of combined minimum weight of 5kg with 30m of non-floating warp having a minimum diameter of 8mm. When carried, the anchor, chain and warp shall be secured together ready for use and shall not be stowed on or under the cabin sole over the ballast keel. The minimum weight of the anchor shall be 3 kg and the maximum weight of the chain shall not exceed 4kg."

According to the company info, the G-11 weights 2.7kg so it looks like I'm out of luck. I also wanted to store it a collapsed configuration in order to save space, but I think that violates the "ready for use" clause, so I guess I look further.

I should have said "Danforth-style". West Marine has a Danforth-style 8-pounder (3.6 KGs) for $33. The West Marine part number is 11743168. That is what I recommend. Add 1 pound (0.45 KGs) of chain and you have a anchor/chain combo that is near minimum weight and should actually work. If you are like me and want to rely on your anchor, add another few pounds of chain. I think I have 3 feet of chain on my anchor, and it almost always holds.

As it happens, I am a measurer. That is how I interpret the rule. And as far as I know, that is how other measurers interpret the rule. I have not, however, ever asked the question. I will offer that my experience has been that whenever the anchor is weighed at a regatta, the rode is removed and not weighed with the anchor or chain.

Archived