Start up and maintenance costs for J22

I am looking around for a boat and am interested in the ownership cost of a J22. I sail these at a local college which has a fleet (and they are great boats). I only have ownership experience with boats in the 12 to 16 foot range. I am not interested in cost of storage as I am a member of a sailing club and they publish that figure.

Any advice you can provide on relative cost of purchase (e.g. versus age), updating, and yearly maintenance would be appreciated. I would probably sail in the local regattas, but I would be reluctant to trailer it to races. I would sail it on lake Keowee, SC.

Thanks,

Ted

I am looking around for a boat and am interested in the ownership cost of a J22. I sail these at a local college which has a fleet (and they are great boats). I only have ownership experience with boats in the 12 to 16 foot range. I am not interested in cost of storage as I am a member of a sailing club and they publish that figure.

Any advice you can provide on relative cost of purchase (e.g. versus age), updating, and yearly maintenance would be appreciated. I would probably sail in the local regattas, but I would be reluctant to trailer it to races. I would sail it on lake Keowee, SC.

Thanks,

Ted

Purchase price depends on age/condition/upgrades, but for the older boats ranges between 6-13k. Look in the classifieds on this site to get an idea of prices. I paid 11 for mine in excellent shape. Maintenance costs will be minimal. Upgrades depend on what you want and the condition of the boat you buy.

Once you get the boat, you can expect the following if you are a club racer, race twenty days per year and want to be competitive and well-maintained in your local PHRF fleet:

1. Sails $1750/year

a. Mainsail, $1500, one every four years

b. Spinnaker, $1500, one every four years

c. Jib, $1000, one every two years

2. Hull

a. Teflon polish, $25/quart, one every year (apply monthly)

b. Painted bottom (assuming you go in that direction), $50/quart, one every year (you supply the labor to prep and paint).

3. Mast, boom, spinnaker pole and standing rigging.

Budget $100 per year, because over a ten year period, you may need to spend $1000, but generally, anything that breaks in this category is going to be covered by insurance.

4. Running rigging

Budget $150 per year to slowly replace old lines

5. Deck and gear

Budget $50 per year for some new 5200 or 4200 to reseal your chainplates (every two years), and to remove and rebed your handrails (once every five years). You can also get a little winch grease within this same annual budget. If you oil the teak, increase this amount a little. The $50/ year also figures you'll need to replace the bearings on one Harken clamcleat per year (the balls will rot out in the SC sun).

6. Trailer

Budget $30 per year to replace trailer wiring (once every seven years), trailer tires (once, period, given your anticipated use), and keeping the bearings lubed.

This is a realistic budget. Barring unforeseen events, you should be able to easily keep your boat maintained within the amounts listed. If you are not a handy person and need to pay to, e.g. have the bottom painted, you'll need to pay more. If you want to pay less, nurse your sails longer.

Something else to consider is talking to your sailmaker about buying demo sails. For example, the sails that were used by Nick Turney and Allan Terhune are probably still available at a slightly discounted rate. It is a good way to get sails that are maybe one regatta old without paying full retail.

Jim

Archived