How high can you point?

I raced my boat in a casual PHRF series a couple of weeks ago (my first race in 25+ years). Despite having a few ridiculous moments trying to round the windward mark, we did pretty well and had a lot of fun.

In a 7 mph breeze, we actually did better on the upwind legs than a Catalina 355.

I was wondering, how high can you point in a 10 mph wind with the class jib, and with a 155 (if there's a difference)? I guess degrees between port & starboard tack would be a good measure. I'm looking for something against which to measure our performance.

As a corollary question, any tips on determining when you can fetch the windward mark?

• 2 weeks later...

I raced my boat in a casual PHRF series a couple of weeks ago (my first race in 25+ years). Despite having a few ridiculous moments trying to round the windward mark, we did pretty well and had a lot of fun.

In a 7 mph breeze, we actually did better on the upwind legs than a Catalina 355.

I was wondering, how high can you point in a 10 mph wind with the class jib, and with a 155 (if there's a difference)? I guess degrees between port & starboard tack would be a good measure. I'm looking for something against which to measure our performance.

As a corollary question, any tips on determining when you can fetch the windward mark?

Just a tip that the standing rigging is set up pretty loose for the class jib. If you tighten the rigging a bit for the 155 you will point higher.

Archived