Paint for Boom

Ok I took all the paint off the boom and it looks great. Yea the paint was beat up pretty well. Can I keep it bare AL, coat it or paint it. Ideas suggestions.

I know you are out there Vic......

Guest USA 846

I sanded my mast and boom about five years ago and had them both powder coated. they have both held up very well. the powder coating was done by a friend who did not charge me, so I don't know what the cost would normally be. However, there are a number of shops out there looking for work, so it should not be hard to find a good price.

I sanded my mast and boom about five years ago and had them both powder coated. they have both held up very well. the powder coating was done by a friend who did not charge me, so I don't know what the cost would normally be. However, there are a number of shops out there looking for work, so it should not be hard to find a good price.

Know of any place around Buffalo NY?

• 3 months later...

I did a quick and dirty job on my original mast and boom. I knocked off the loose paint, sanded a bit, removed some bits, masked off others, and sprayed the mast and the boom with Appliance "Epoxy" spray cans. It looked good for many years, but now the boom is flaking off in places. My newer mast, yet again, paint looks great.

It sounds like like you have done a bunch of work to get the old paint off. Had I done that I would have considered powder coating or a paint like Imron. Don't waste your time with Appliance paint. Before you paint it make certain to determine if a special primer is needed over the now bare aluminum. Bare aluminum will start oxidizing almost immediately after you expose the surface. Hope this does some good. vic

Archived