Improvement ideas

CPrincing

Hey all, Happy Holidays. It is cold up here in Michigan, snowy, icy... I thought I would see if we can get a discussion going to help some of us get better at sailing J/22's and think warm thoughts. So I invite you all to submit your question here or to me at chris@awardandsports.com

I will take your question and contact a sailing professional for an answer and then post it here for all to read. I will only contact people who sail J/22's for there input to try and keep it J/22 specific.

So send me your questions about crewwork, steering, sets, tacking.... Or send me questions about fairing keels, repairing holes, fixing scratches.... Or send me questions about sail trim, tactical situations, starting... I will get you the answers and post them here.

Christopher Princing

USA J/22 Class President

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, Happy Holidays. It is cold up here in Michigan, snowy, icy... I thought I would see if we can get a discussion going to help some of us get better at sailing J/22's and think warm thoughts. So I invite you all to submit your question here or to me at chris@awardandsports.com

I will take your question and contact a sailing professional for an answer and then post it here for all to read. I will only contact people who sail J/22's for there input to try and keep it J/22 specific.

So send me your questions about crewwork, steering, sets, tacking.... Or send me questions about fairing keels, repairing holes, fixing scratches.... Or send me questions about sail trim, tactical situations, starting... I will get you the answers and post them here.

Christopher Princing

USA J/22 Class President

• 1 year later...

Christopher Princing

USA J/22 Class President

Chris: I have a question. I need to replace my tiller extension. What do you recommend? Does anyone use telescoping extensions? My current extension is 41" long and uses a urethane universal. It's just the right length that sometimes during light air tacks it will get lodged against the toe rail at the top of the transom as I'm trying to bear off, thus the reason I want a telescoping extension. I'm worried that I may regret it in heavy air.

Thanks

Mark DeDionisio

I have used the adjustables (both carbon and aluminum) and find that they tend to fail at the most inconvenient times. I think I am eventually going to purchase a Fatso Jr. carbon extension with a non-adjustable length of 48". If I went back to an adjustable I would carry a spare on board.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When sailing downwind with a genoa does it pay to broad reach like racers with a spinnaker rather than sail dead downwind with a pole?

Does wind speed play a role on deciding how to go downwind?

Back in the days of yore, we used to deliver race boats by water. We would sail for days under a poled out headsail. A high -clewed sail like a jib top or blast reacher works best but a genoa will work too. I'm not too sure how the leads would work on a 22, you might want to lead your genoa sheet aft to the spinnaker blocks.

Pole the jib out wing on wing, like a Snipe. If you let the pole ahead, you can reach up a bit, pull it back to sail deeper. When it is really windy, this is a super controllable set-up and fast too.

Archived