bulkhead

On my aft bulkhead (the one just below the hatch) I noticed that the long thin piece of wood on the forward panel at the bottom had gone bad; I was able to just pull it off. I'm wondering what the purpose of this piece is, so that I can replace it properly. I'm assuming that it's to reinforce the bulkhead and that I can bond a new piece of wood to both the bulkhead and the floor with epoxy. Also, I'm wondering if I should treat the bulkhead wood in any way to make it more resistant to water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sodani,

That is what the floor board should rest on. Water tends to collect there and rot out the wood. I've recently replaced mine. You can usually get the shape (length, width, etc) by looking at the outline of the old one on the bulkhead. Epoxy and some screws is good fix. Anytime you can keep wood dry...it is a wonderful thing. I've used exterior grade house paint with a mildew killer additive (already in the paint). We'll see how long it lasts.

Brant

Hi Brant,

I actually don't have a floorboard so I guess I don't need to replace mine. Yes, water definitely tends to collect there. I'll look into the exterior grade house paint. Thanks!

Sodani,

That is what the floor board should rest on. Water tends to collect there and rot out the wood. I've recently replaced mine. You can usually get the shape (length, width, etc) by looking at the outline of the old one on the bulkhead. Epoxy and some screws is good fix. Anytime you can keep wood dry...it is a wonderful thing. I've used exterior grade house paint with a mildew killer additive (already in the paint). We'll see how long it lasts.

Brant

Archived