Spreaders left on for winter

To store my J/22 for the northeast winter I use my mast covered with fuzzy side down carpet strips as a ridge pole for my cover. I remove my spreaders leaving the spreader bar in place. I was reminded again how the spreaders fill with water when the mast is stowed horizontally with spreader tips down.

If you live where there are freeze thaw cycles over the winter I would make certain the spreaders are removed rather than hanging with tips down to fill with water. The water freezing and expanding inside the spreader over the winter season may not do any damage, but why take the chance?

I didn't explore it in detail, but the last time I was in Tractor Supply they had "hay tarps" that looked big enough to cover a J/22. They seemed heavy duty and the price wasn't too bad. You should look them over more closely before actually buying one for a boat cover, but they did look promising. Hope this does some good. vic

Guest Guest_riracer_*
To store my J/22 for the northeast winter I use my mast covered with fuzzy side down carpet strips as a ridge pole for my cover. I remove my spreaders leaving the spreader bar in place. I was reminded again how the spreaders fill with water when the mast is stowed horizontally with spreader tips down.

If you live where there are freeze thaw cycles over the winter I would make certain the spreaders are removed rather than hanging with tips down to fill with water. The water freezing and expanding inside the spreader over the winter season may not do any damage, but why take the chance?

I didn't explore it in detail, but the last time I was in Tractor Supply they had "hay tarps" that looked big enough to cover a J/22. They seemed heavy duty and the price wasn't too bad. You should look them over more closely before actually buying one for a boat cover, but they did look promising. Hope this does some good. vic

Guest Guest_riracer_*

I had a J80 friend learn the hard way by not taking his down and they filled with water, froze and split. Not a cheap way to start the spring. I always take mine off, even using a tarp (not attractive but very efficient) to cover the boat.

• 2 months later...
Guest scott882
I had a J80 friend learn the hard way by not taking his down and they filled with water, froze and split. Not a cheap way to start the spring. I always take mine off, even using a tarp (not attractive but very efficient) to cover the boat.

After mine split a little I had them welded for a couple of bucks. Then I drilled two 1/16 drain holes on the end of the trailing edge as a precautionary move for the next owner.

Archived