Mast rake

Bolido

My boat (hull 1018) have the mast rake adjusted to the recommended 4’ 10 7/8” (angled step, North NB1 main and Big Foot jib)) but in our typical wind conditions of 15-20 m/h (13-18 knots) I get a lot of weather helm no matter how I adjust the sails, especially while reaching.

Will reducing the mast rake compensate for this problem? If so, what is the recommended number? Any other suggestions?

My boat (hull 1018) have the mast rake adjusted to the recommended 4’ 10 7/8” (angled step, North NB1 main and Big Foot jib)) but in our typical wind conditions of 15-20 m/h (13-18 knots) I get a lot of weather helm no matter how I adjust the sails, especially while reaching.

Will reducing the mast rake compensate for this problem? If so, what is the recommended number? Any other suggestions?

First, you should make certain you are measuring the rake from the points that are indicated in the tuning guide. I think it is easy to forget that the tuning guides are just that, a guide, not a set-in-stone specification. Although giving a setting like 4' 10 7/8" in the guide does sound very precise. We run 5 ft. 1/2" (maybe 5' 1/4"?? I'm going by memory) with our North sails. 1985 hull. I'd try moving the rake back in maybe 1/2" increments to see if there's a better range. If that does it you can move it in smaller adjustments to find better tune.

Adding rake may cause problems with your backstay length to the point you run out of adjustment in the wye turnbuckles. We use a high tech line to connect the lower legs to the upper backstay. That way you have essentially infinite adjustment. Hope this does some good. vic

I understand that increasing mast rake will INCREASE weather helm, therefore making matters worse. Am I missing something with the J22?

Sorry. I noticed nobody had given you a reply a bit after reading the original question and answered without re-reading the question.

My point is that the guide is not a "set it here for every single boat" definitive setting. As you know moving the rake more forward will move the center of effort and should help your situation. I haven't seen a number of inches setting. Try moving it and see how it responds.

Check the shape of your mainsail. The draft of a sail tends to move aft in heavier wind. This hooks the leech of the sail to windward, increasing weather helm. You can move the draft forward by tightening the cunningham and flatten the sail by tightening the outhaul. Try easing the mainsheet and boomvang to different settings. Try sheeting the jib a bit tighter.

The helmsman should stay in front of the traveler bar of death in a J/22. If you already do that, move some weight aft a bit? Hike hard. It's best to be close to max class weight in heavier breeze. Hope this helps. vic

Guest enfuego

My J22 #486 has the angled step and uses North sails. I have been back and forth between 4'10-4'11 in all wind conditions. I find my boat his neutral helm and points better with 4 ft 10 inches. I tried 4 ft 10 and 3/4 the first day of the recent NA's and could not point as high as the fleet. This was after a discussion with Greg Fisher. It was shortened to 4'10 and seemed to work better. Another competitor told me the older boats with North need a shorter forestay!

Archived