Class Legal Cordage

I recently got Maffioli Swiftcord jib sheets, and some of my local competitors asked me whether I was sure they were class legal. I checked the APS website - and they were there, although they aren't there now. I also called Layline and was told that they sold all kinds of it to 22s and 24s for all kinds of running rigging, including jib sheets. But the process had me wondering who the class authority was for this kind of stuff... as I'm sure it's not the vendors I'd asked.

So - where is this type of stuff listed? Who would be the authority on the issue?

I recently got Maffioli Swiftcord jib sheets, and some of my local competitors asked me whether I was sure they were class legal. I checked the APS website - and they were there, although they aren't there now. I also called Layline and was told that they sold all kinds of it to 22s and 24s for all kinds of running rigging, including jib sheets. But the process had me wondering who the class authority was for this kind of stuff... as I'm sure it's not the vendors I'd asked.

So - where is this type of stuff listed? Who would be the authority on the issue?

Are they synthetic and less than 8mm thick? That's the rule.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am looking to go to a 2:1 system for the jib, using Harken 29mm Carbo T2 blocks and Sampson Warp Speed line. The specifications say that these blocks can handle a 8mm line, however, my local rigger warned me away from going to the maximum line size as the block would be less effective. So, what is the class rule on stripping the line where it could run through the block?

I believe you can strip it, but the narrowest part (the stripped part) has to meet the minimum diameter as listed in the rules. Send a email to class office: j22@roadrunner.com and C Howell will send it to the chief measurer for a ruling.

go here: http://www.usaj22.com/index.php/the-boat/line-lengths

It lists minimum diameters, suggested line lengths and a suggestion on a line manufacturer (which may be dated)

Chris Princing

Archived