Keel sump material

Bolido

Does anybody know when (year, hull number) the original manufacturer (TPI) stopped using Vermiculite on the keel sump? The lifting ring on my boat (hull number 1018) sheared off and I need to know what to expect when correcting the problem.

Does anybody know when (year, hull number) the original manufacturer (TPI) stopped using Vermiculite on the keel sump? The lifting ring on my boat (hull number 1018) sheared off and I need to know what to expect when correcting the problem.

I don't believe I've heard of any J/22's with vermiculite used in the sump. Not sayin' there weren't any, I just haven't heard.

According to this J/24 repair article the J/24's in question were 1978 - 1981 manufacture.

http://www.j24class.org/usa/faqs/verm_repair.htm

If that's true only the very earliest J/22 hulls would be suspect anyway. Sorry I can't be more definitive. vic

Contact J-boats. Give them your hull number and area where you wish to repair. They have been very helpful when it comes to information on materials and specifications for repairs.

Hull #35 has what looks like a milled fiber, cabosil, resin "putty" in the area of its' aft 2 keel bolts. However, I've never dug into them to find out, just looks like from the surface. Definately no verm!

Brant

• 1 year later...
Guest lazrcub@aol.com

Check out the lifting bar which was much discussed in earlier. Check with J/boats they offered a lifting bar kit, which spanned two keel bolts in order to help the problem with a single point lift off of a keel bolt. You at least want to install this when you replace your keel bolt.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dave Kerr

I was able to grind out material in the area of the rear two keel bolts to create a flat area for the lifting bracket to sit. The nuts are fully engaged on the studs. I also drilled a limber hole through the stringer so water would drain into the keel sump. I can send pictures if you want.

Archived