Keel lift ring / bolt replacement

The keel ring / bolt broke on my boat - number 99. The bolt / ring assembly corroded and fell off. Fortunately it did not break while the boat was on the lift! Has anyone had experience with replacement or know how it is done? I assume that the keel will have to be removed in the process.

JWG,

Hopefully, your ring was above the keel nut. If so, the lift kit advertised in the "links" on the website will be a great fix. The nuts that come with that kit can replace the existing nut. If your ring was used as a keel nut and the bolt broke at the sump level, others may have a solution for you. Best of luck on your repair.

Brant

Brant:

Thanks for the info. I looked at the kit and it looks like a great potential solution. The ring came off along with one nut and a little bit of corroded bolt, and there is a remaining nut on the keel bolt. The bolt totally corroded off between the two nuts The ring was on what I think is the most forward keel bolt- the one in the deep part of the bilge. I did see two more bolts a few inches apart through an access hole just under where the step fits across the seats at the compaionway. I did not remove the floor board and don't know if there is a fourth bolt between those two bolts and the one that broke in the deep part of the bilge. I am thinking that I could attach the kit to whichever are the two bolts closeset behind the one that 'broke". Any further thoughts about this?

John

JWG,

Hopefully, your ring was above the keel nut. If so, the lift kit advertised in the "links" on the website will be a great fix. The nuts that come with that kit can replace the existing nut. If your ring was used as a keel nut and the bolt broke at the sump level, others may have a solution for you. Best of luck on your repair.

Brant

Lifting kit goes on the aft two keel bolts.

Brant:

Great - thanks, that is very helpful. Actually the bolt that broke was the forward one of the aft two, not one more forward. Hopefully the kit will work in this case since there is a remaining nut on top of the bolt. I am asking Bill at Waterline his opinion on this.

John

Archived