Another Mast Step Question

Guest Chasing Time

Guest Chasing Time

Hello, I have an issue with rot throughout the cabin top around the mast step which leads me to believe that is leaking. I have been told that is solid glass however wouldn't you still need to seal it with 4200. I have the inside cabin top cut out and the balsa is gone. For the repair I am going to put thickened epoxy 2" around the mast step and then put new balsa in after that. Will that solve the issue or do I need to bring the mast down, pull up the step from the deck and caulk those four bolts. Any advice would be appreciated.

The four bolt holes is where the water got in to cause the rot. Yes, drop the mast and caulk around and in the bolt holes. 4200 is a good sealer but it is not very flexible, use something like Life Caulk that will flex with the mast/boat.  Use it every place a bolt/screw goes through the glass, to keep water from penetrating. AND, about every 3 to 4 years go back and re-bed all bolt/screws. It will save you a lot in future repairs, like you are doing right now. Note,, straight silicone sealer is not a good sealer as it deteriorates in sun light and salt water.  

On 5/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, TyeDyedGary said:

The four bolt holes is where the water got in to cause the rot. Yes, drop the mast and caulk around and in the bolt holes. 4200 is a good sealer but it is not very flexible, use something like Life Caulk that will flex with the mast/boat.  Use it every place a bolt/screw goes through the glass, to keep water from penetrating. AND, about every 3 to 4 years go back and re-bed all bolt/screws. It will save you a lot in future repairs, like you are doing right now. Note,, straight silicone sealer is not a good sealer as it deteriorates in sun light and salt water.  

Thank you for the reply. Mast coming down tomorrow.