Running a J22 at Figawi

Question for the forum: I'm a recreational lake sailor in Sunapee, NH. A buddy and I have this ambition to sail the Figawi race from Hyannis to Nantucket this memorial day. It's about 22 miles in the North Atlantic. I'm a pretty capable, if conservative, lake sailor and wondering if anyone on here has done this event in a J22. It says its a race for boats of all shapes and sizes, though most of the boats I see in the race seem to be 27 feet or larger. I don't think we actually have any illusions of competing, we'd just like to finish and not embarrass ourselves.  Would love thoughts or suggestions from the forum. 

grhill5, go for it. Before the drug cartels cause the Galveston to Vera Cruz race to shutdown, there was several 22 ft. boat that entered at versus times. This was a 605 mile race across the Gulf, which is a washing machine on most days. I enter many distance races, and share driving and trimming with my crew. So do this race and have fun.    

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

JBrown, yeah I missed that and was forced to sit this one out. More that life got in the way with work and kids, and given our situation on the lake, I need a crane to put the boat in and out of the water. Wa going to be a complicate process, but I'll look for the next opportunity to do it.