Angled Mast Step

Hello everybody,

I recently bought a 1994 SA J22 in the Netherlands. I read about the boat quite a bit and I always come across angled versus flat mast steps.

Can anybody help me on this. I do have a flat maststep but it seems that the angled one is preffered.

I have the feeling that my mast is to round above the spreaders and I wonder if the angled mast step could help this if.

Can anybody explain the differences and if this can be retrofitted? What is the difference in the angle between the flat and the angled step?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

GER2211

Guest Guest

Peter:

Welcome to the Class. Changing out the flat plate for an angled one is an easy fix. You just change the plate attached to the base of the mast. Usually this means removing four bolts. You DON"T need to do anything with the plate attached to the deck.

But before you start, you'll need to know who made your mast since the plate for the Hall Spars mast is different than the plat for the mast most often used by the South African Manufacturer.

WIth that information, you ought to be able to order the angeled plate from the spar manufacutrer.

Chris Doyle

Guest Guest_GER2211_*
Peter:

Welcome to the Class. Changing out the flat plate for an angled one is an easy fix. You just change the plate attached to the base of the mast. Usually this means removing four bolts. You DON"T need to do anything with the plate attached to the deck.

But before you start, you'll need to know who made your mast since the plate for the Hall Spars mast is different than the plat for the mast most often used by the South African Manufacturer.

WIth that information, you ought to be able to order the angeled plate from the spar manufacutrer.

Chris Doyle

Guest Guest_GER2211_*

Thanks for your reply Chris.

I think I rather get in touch with the SA manufacturer and ask him about the mast manufacturer first.

Would you recommed a change to the angled mast step in general? I figured the shroud tension for my Quantum Sails are a lot lower with the angled mast step so the stress to the boat should be less. Is that the only advantage or is it also doing any good to the shape of the main?

Thanks again for your help,

Peter

Archived