J- 22 questions from the Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club

I am chair of a committee at the Beaufort (SC) Yacht and Sailing Club evaluating our members' interests in adding a 20' sportboat fleet to our program. A variety of 20' designs are being discussed. While we are very early in our process, the J 22 has gotten a good bit of interest I am hoping that someone in the forum could put me in touch with a Class member knowledgeable about the boat and fleets in the Southeast. The regional director does not have a posted email address on the Assn web site.

Additionally, the main driver of this study is the expressed desire from older members, who are avid racers, to have a fleet of keelboats that better fit with their physical needs. However, we also want to encourage junior racing. A member of the committee has observed that junior racing in 420s appears to be a feeder to advanced racing in J 22s, as many J 22 fleets are co-located with active 420 programs. As we have a fleet of 420s, I am hoping that the fourm might be able to provide me some perspective on whether this relationship between the classes actually exists and if so any anecdotes on how those programs relate at other clubs.

Cheers

Alan Dechovitz

Guest Guest_Cdoyle_*

Alan:

We can put you in touch with someone in a fleet or in the national class. Do you have an e-mail address at which we may contact you?

Chris Doyle

j221026@roadrunner.com

Guest Alan Dechovitz
I am chair of a committee at the Beaufort (SC) Yacht and Sailing Club evaluating our members' interests in adding a 20' sportboat fleet to our program. A variety of 20' designs are being discussed. While we are very early in our process, the J 22 has gotten a good bit of interest I am hoping that someone in the forum could put me in touch with a Class member knowledgeable about the boat and fleets in the Southeast. The regional director does not have a posted email address on the Assn web site.

Additionally, the main driver of this study is the expressed desire from older members, who are avid racers, to have a fleet of keelboats that better fit with their physical needs. However, we also want to encourage junior racing. A member of the committee has observed that junior racing in 420s appears to be a feeder to advanced racing in J 22s, as many J 22 fleets are co-located with active 420 programs. As we have a fleet of 420s, I am hoping that the fourm might be able to provide me some perspective on whether this relationship between the classes actually exists and if so any anecdotes on how those programs relate at other clubs.

Cheers

Alan Dechovitz

Guest Alan Dechovitz
Alan:

We can put you in touch with someone in a fleet or in the national class. Do you have an e-mail address at which we may contact you?

Chris Doyle

j221026@roadrunner.com

Archived