Keel bolt bonding wire

I just installed the lifting plate, bolts look in pretty good shape. I noticed the green grounding/bonding wire was cut/removed at the aft bolt by a previous owner. I assume I should go ahead and replace it? Looks like maybe 12 gauge? And it goes to the mast step, or also to the chainplates?

Thanks Chris. I'll go ahead and replace both wires. I think mine only came with one. Not sure why the prev owner took it out. Can't been too careful with this sort of thing.

Btw at the risk of sounding "anti J/22" have you seen the new J70? The reviews are looking pretty strong. I've been thinking about taking a test sail sometime.

Seen it. Sailed it. The crew positions are a lot less taxing, and I think that will make it a lot less interesting for some teams. One of the things I like a lot about the 22 is that all three positions are absolutely crucial to the success of the program. And I have said this before: I'd rather sail in either of the three positions on the J/22 than drive almost any other boat. That said, the 70 does have some nice features: huge cockpit, easier to tow, ramp-launchable with ease. It sails nicely too. I won't think about changing until they start getting 30 of them out at regattas and we have enough background to know how long they'll last. Even then, the 70 would need to be an ISAF class before I would consider it.

Seen it. Sailed it. The crew positions are a lot less taxing, and I think that will make it a lot less interesting for some teams. One of the things I like a lot about the 22 is that all three positions are absolutely crucial to the success of the program. And I have said this before: I'd rather sail in either of the three positions on the J/22 than drive almost any other boat. That said, the 70 does have some nice features: huge cockpit, easier to tow, ramp-launchable with ease. It sails nicely too. I won't think about changing until they start getting 30 of them out at regattas and we have enough background to know how long they'll last. Even then, the 70 would need to be an ISAF class before I would consider it.

Archived