main halyard shackle

Hello, my main halyard shackle has a pin that falls out from time to time and lo and behold, a couple of weeks ago it fell out and went into the water. I originally thought that I should replace the shackle but it has a bar that doesn't seem removable, so I can't take the shackle off. I thought about getting a new pin but I've never seen them sold by themselves.

Any ideas?

Hello, my main halyard shackle has a pin that falls out from time to time and lo and behold, a couple of weeks ago it fell out and went into the water. I originally thought that I should replace the shackle but it has a bar that doesn't seem removable, so I can't take the shackle off. I thought about getting a new pin but I've never seen them sold by themselves.

Any ideas?

It's unlikely you'll find a replacement pin. Many of those bar pins will drive out. If not, to remove the shackle from the halyard splice you can bend open the existing shackle until that bar pin releases, or cut the shackle free with bolt cutters or a hacksaw. After it is removed there are shackles available that have removable bar pins for replacement. Hope this does some good. vic

• 3 weeks later...

Archived