Now that the Speedpuck and Novasail NS100 are Class Legal

Good questions, Brian. I am in no hurry to do anything but get the new required tow line.

Under the new rules, I think my priorities will be:

1. Thinner vang line for the cascade.

2. New high-tech jib halyard (may need to double up on the cleat).

3. New high tech main halyard.

4. Nova Sail 100.

5. Check weight to compensate.

But other than the towline, I am waiting to I accumulate more funds before jumping in on the new stuff.

I like the Novasail because it gives speed and direction at the same time. But I could be talked into the Speedpuck if others think it is the better dealI was thinking I would use it in conjunction with the TacTick micro which gives the direction the bow is pointed in, unlike the GPS gizmos which show the direction the boat is moving. But I am a little worried that I'll get distracted by two different direction read-outs, so I am in no hurry to start adding stuff.

Good questions, Brian. I am in no hurry to do anything but get the new required tow line.

Under the new rules, I think my priorities will be:

1. Thinner vang line for the cascade.

2. New high-tech jib halyard (may need to double up on the cleat).

3. New high tech main halyard.

4. Nova Sail 100.

5. Check weight to compensate.

But other than the towline, I am waiting to I accumulate more funds before jumping in on the new stuff.

I like the Novasail because it gives speed and direction at the same time. But I could be talked into the Speedpuck if others think it is the better dealI was thinking I would use it in conjunction with the TacTick micro which gives the direction the bow is pointed in, unlike the GPS gizmos which show the direction the boat is moving. But I am a little worried that I'll get distracted by two different direction read-outs, so I am in no hurry to start adding stuff.

I use the speedpuck. It is a keep it simple stupid approach. I turn it on and it displays a big speed number, plus a header/lift bar indicator. Never use the other modes. I agree no need to get too distracted. Speedpuck and a Tacktic compass are a good combo. I velcro it next to one of the winch handle holders.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering:

1) If anyone had a recommendation between them?

2) Who was going to take the plunge? and

3) If they were thinking of augmenting or replacing their TackTic devices?

I have done some reading on both units and one significant piece of information is missing. No where does Novasail list the update rate of the NS100. They explain that speed resolution is 0.1 knots and heading is 1 degree (same as the Velocitek Speedpuck), but they do not list the screen update rate of the device on their website or in the manual.

On Velocitek's site they list the screen update rate at 2hz (every 0.5 seconds). Also, the Speedpuck has a datalogger function that allows you to save the race data for later review. Also, multiple Speedpucks can be hooked together. Coupled with Velocitek's software you can show multi-boat race replays on a laptop monitor or TV.

One other consideration is the NS100 has two rows of numbers so you can track heading AND speed simultaneously. The Speedpuck can only display one value at a time - speed (with header/lift lines), heading, or Max Speed.

Jim

Archived