Rebedding chainplates

Someone recommended that I dig out the bedding around the chainplates and redo annually. It is fairly easy to dig out on the aft face of the chainplate, but I can't even get a razor blade down the front face.

So, do I unbolt the chainplate from the bulkhead below to facilitate complete removal of all old bedding compound, or leave it alone?

The best move is to unbolt the chainplate and completely remove it. Then remove all of the loose caulking and rotten balsa. If there is a lot of rot, seal the underside of the slot with tape, fill the hole with epoxy, and after it kicks use a drill and router to make a new through-deck slit for the plate.

If there is not a lot of rot, reinstall the chainplate dry, but with the bolts loose so you can move the plate around in the slot. Liberally apply caulk in the slot from both the top and bottom and around all four sides so you know it is well and thoroughly sealed. Tighten down the through-bulkhead bolts, re-install the cover plate (being careful not to strip the screw holes) and then clean up the excess caulk with mineral spirits.

I don't think there is any caulk used to seal the plate to the bulkhead, so that part of the removal/reinstall is pretty easy.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought there is Penske board instead of balsa in the deck around the chainplate hole in Waterline boats (hull 1500 and above).

Will recommended doing this as an annual preventative thing. I don't suspect I have any issues with water entry, and redoing the bedding annually should keep it that way.

I was talking about popping off the stainless cover plates, digging out what you can, running a small bead around the chainplate and popping the cover back on.

Doing this yearly will help prevent a problem, but the real benefit is finding a problem when it's small. Doing this forces you to get upclose and personal with a known trouble spot. If you start pulling out wet caulk, or the deck feels a bit spongy... then pull the chainplate and do the real fix.

If it has only been leaking for a year, it will probably be a quick and easy fix. If you notice that you have a problem from "long-range", it will probably be a not quick and not easy fix.

Archived