iPhone app for boat speed?

• 1 month later...

I have MotionX GPS app for the iPhone, it can be set to show knots, or mph and nautical or statute miles. There are also a couple of tracking apps that will take the GPS data from the iPhone and plot your course and speed on a map.

Again, not class legal for racing but interesting to play with.

KT

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of a good iPhone application for boat speed?

Here's an interesting free app that works like the Velocitek. As far as I can tell it does about everything the Velocitek does except record tracks.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/elvstr-m-starter/id465456710?mt=8

I imagine it's not class legal but we do mostly PHRF around here.

You should consider a waterproof case like the Lifecase. I've already killed one Iphone inadvertently. It's very easy to get water in the mic input slot. Apple built in a little indicator in the bottom slot that turns color when it gets wet.

If you're just after a GPS speed reading WAZE is free and very useful for traffic on the way.

http://www.waze.com/

• 3 months later...

Sorry I'm late to this ...

If you aren't racing, Navionics USA is an amazing app. Not only does it give you GPS speed, but it has all the US marine charts. Basically, it's a chart plotter in your shirt pocket. Check to make sure your lake is covered, I think they have a version for the inland lakes as well...

I have the android version, but I'm pretty sure that there is an apple version too.

Sorry I'm late to this ...

If you aren't racing, Navionics USA is an amazing app. Not only does it give you GPS speed, but it has all the US marine charts. Basically, it's a chart plotter in your shirt pocket. Check to make sure your lake is covered, I think they have a version for the inland lakes as well...

I have the android version, but I'm pretty sure that there is an apple version too.

Can you tell me a little more about the speed feature? Is it pretty responsive? Will it show the effect of a tweak to sail trim?

Can you tell me a little more about the speed feature? Is it pretty responsive? Will it show the effect of a tweak to sail trim?

Honestly, I've never used it for that. It's illegal on the 22, so I've never fired it up. On the Farr30, I've used it as a quick sanity check on the instruments on the way to the start. I keep it running down below, and I'll check the tracks to kinda track how I did on the shifts...

Archived