J22 as an overnighter

Has anyone done any over-nighting on their J22? I would be interested in ideas as to head arrangements, cooking, or any other considerations.

Many years ago I did occasional overnight trips with a J/22. I had v-berth cushions made. It's real tight but you can sleep in it. I kept a small on-board head. Forget cooking, I went ashore to a restaurant.

After awhile a friend said, "you're using a one-design racer as a cruiser". I had to agree. A few months later I bought a 36' cruiser. Of course years later I'm back with another J/22 day sailing. It's a great boat.

My wife and me regularly spend 2 to 3 nights in our J22. I made 2 removable seats between the forward bunk and the cabin access with small drawers underneath. I have v berth cushions and both of us can sleep comfortably (true, it is a little tight but worth it). We have a removable awning for protection against the Caribbean sun. We dont cook on board but bring along stuff for sandwiches, snacks like trail mix or nuts and already cooked food like tuna macarroni salad (we also bring along a cooler). We have boating friends that bring ice when visiting. For illumination we use LED lamps and flashlights. We also rig a wind scoop to keep the cabin cool.

To relief ourselves we use the proven classical bucket. Simple but effective.

We also carry gallon water bottles and a sun shower...jump in the water for a swim and rinse off.

True, it is a race boat but you can spend a few marvelous nights if you dont mind the limitations. Try it! And dont forget to bring a bottle of your favorite wine.

Archived