Replacing the teak Toe Rail

Brian,

Unfortunately, yes...I have. And yes....they are tough to get off if still on as factory install. They are bedded with 3M 5200 Adhesive. Basically two ways to get them off; 1 - Take out screws and pound them off with a hammer, then cut the rest off with a razor knife, or 2 - Take out screws and cut the 5200 with a razor knife while wedging the rail from underneath. If the teak is old and worn, just use the pound off method. Do not use the 5200 removal stuff, the hull deck joint is under the teak and is bedded with 5200 as well...don't want to create more leaks. The PVC replacement gives you the new boat look, is cheaper than the teak and screws from within the cockpit. I went back with Teak as I wanted the boat to look closer to original. While your there, clean up the hull/deck screw heads and give them a light turn on the interior nuts...many of mine were very loose. Don't overtighten....no crunching fiberglass sounds.

All the Best,

• 1 year later...

As to teak removal. I have not used this technique. One method that was described to me is take a Sawzall with metal blade and cut the the teak complete with fasteners down the length. The fasteners are then punched down and the remaining teak rail is removed. It sounds like a brutal tactic, but it also sounds very efficient. FWIW. vic

Archived