Local PHRF rating

We wind up racing PHRF on Lake Lanier most of the time. Our local PHRF rating in OD configuration is 180 which is a little tough in light summer conditions against boats with large genoas. A fellow J22 sailor thinks our local rating may be a little lower than many areas. How does 180 compare with your local rating?

Guest jhuus

We wind up racing PHRF on Lake Lanier most of the time. Our local PHRF rating in OD configuration is 180 which is a little tough in light summer conditions against boats with large genoas. A fellow J22 sailor thinks our local rating may be a little lower than many areas. How does 180 compare with your local rating?

In PHRF-LO, which covers a wide area around Lake Ontario, it's 165 with a spinnaker and 189 without. I race with those ratings with spinnakers on Tuesdays and without on Thursdays, and we tend to average around the middle of both fleets. I'd be happier if they bumped the numbers up a bit though!

Guest sailor2526

The Gulf Yachting Association (Florida to Texas) uses 183 as a base rating with the following adjustments: no lifelines -3, no engine -3, oversize spinnaker pole -3 (1-1/4" over J - yes its nit picking) small jib +6 so a basic J/22 rates 180. For PHRF races I have a 155 genoa (-6) and a second shorter spinnaker pole = J with old spinnaker cut down for a net rating of 177.

One of the Johnstones wrote an article on the differences in PHRF ratings for various J-Boats. I recall that he said the J22 should rate 6 sec/mi slower than the J24 (both boats in OD configuration). Sorry, I don't remember where I saw the article.

• 1 month later...
Guest Terry

Hello

The Chesapeake Bay PHRF rates the J/22 in one design trimm at 183. I believe the 155 genny would give the boat a -6 second rating so 177. In most cases the 155 is not worth the rating difference. The only time it may be worth it, is in a very narrow range of probably 3-6 knots.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the Johnstones wrote an article on the differences in PHRF ratings for various J-Boats. I recall that he said the J22 should rate 6 sec/mi slower than the J24 (both boats in OD configuration). Sorry, I don't remember where I saw the article.

I think this may be it:

http://www.jboats.com/sailboat-phrf-handicap.htm

In PHRF-LO, which covers a wide area around Lake Ontario, it's 165 with a spinnaker and 189 without. I race with those ratings with spinnakers on Tuesdays and without on Thursdays, and we tend to average around the middle of both fleets. I'd be happier if they bumped the numbers up a bit though!

I was recently looking into the No Spinnaker question. The Eastern Connecticut PHRF has an adjustment based on the ratio of mainsail size to fore triangle size. Their website is: http://www.ecsa.net/ Click on "Regs, Defs, Adjs" under "PHRF". Based on my calculation, the adjustment for a J22 would be +19.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived