Keel Blisters

Rebuilt the transom 5 years ago because of water intrusion, torqued the Keel bolts and repainted the bottom with VC White. Now, every spring when I get the boat out of storage (indoor, unheated), there's blisters on the keel... this year, I have one on the port side that's the size of my palm. :angry:

Where's the closest repair shop to Colorado that I could take the boat to next winter that can strip and refinish the keel to stop the annual repairs. Obviously, they'll need to have a set of templates.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cos,

Sounds like you have an underlying problem (pun intended). Where exactly are the blisters are they at the hull/keel joint (where the lead meets the stump about 8 inches down)? Sounds like there is moisture under the VC and there is either no primer or it has failed to do its job. Is the keel dry all year or in hydo-hoist?

WARNING, shameless plug....

I work at Gulf Coast Composite in Kemah, Tx. I know we are not exactly close, but we are equipped for this job. We work on J-80s that hail from CO that come down here for some fall sailing. You can bring your boat to us this summer, pick up on your way to NO for the Worlds then join us in Houston for our fall Regattas like J-Fest, SW Circuit Regatta and others. Water will still be warm by your standards.

Brant Koepke

Guest coslatrat

Cos,

Sounds like you have an underlying problem (pun intended). Where exactly are the blisters are they at the hull/keel joint (where the lead meets the stump about 8 inches down)? Sounds like there is moisture under the VC and there is either no primer or it has failed to do its job. Is the keel dry all year or in hydo-hoist?

WARNING, shameless plug....

I work at Gulf Coast Composite in Kemah, Tx. I know we are not exactly close, but we are equipped for this job. We work on J-80s that hail from CO that come down here for some fall sailing. You can bring your boat to us this summer, pick up on your way to NO for the Worlds then join us in Houston for our fall Regattas like J-Fest, SW Circuit Regatta and others. Water will still be warm by your standards.

Brant Koepke

Cos,

Brant Koepke

Yup, got an underlying problem alright, last yard to work on it probably didn't clean up the keel sufficiently before shooting the VC White... blisters are all over, even above the keel joint. In a slip for the summer, indoor unheated storage in the winter.

Shameless plug is ok, but the boat stays in the water till October, then I'll think about bringing it down.

DB

Archived