Teak care

Any ideas on ways or products to keep your teak looking nice? I've tried oil, but it seems to attract dirt. I'm thinking of using Sikkens Cetol.

My boat is #395. The teak is fairly worn. I sail on an inland lake in N.C.

I have used Teak Wonder for years. Now I just scrub it clean and let it go grey. The handholds can be replaced easily with either more teak or stainless steel, which a lot of the new boats have.

I used Cetol on my teak, and it really looks great. I used the transparent (less orangey color) and applied 3 coats as directed. The advantage to Cetol is that it only takes a single coat once a year to avoid having to re-sand, clean, etc.

I'll try for pics this weekend if you'd like.

KT

I used Cetol on my teak, and it really looks great. I used the transparent (less orangey color) and applied 3 coats as directed. The advantage to Cetol is that it only takes a single coat once a year to avoid having to re-sand, clean, etc.

I'll try for pics this weekend if you'd like.

KT

I began work today, teak cleaner, Dremel sander, shop vac. Quite a mess. I got the Natural Teak sealer and the high gloss top coat. I have some blue masking tape, rags and brushes.

When you re-coat, do you use the gloss topcoat? No sanding necessary? I would really like to see pictures. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I did 3 coats of Cetol Natural Teak sealer and 2 coats of Cetol gloss. The color is excellent - no hint of orange, grain shows through very nicely. I am very happy with the appearance of the boat.

Now we'll see how durable it is. According to the manufacturer, I should be able to maintain it with a light sanding and a coat of gloss once a year.

• 1 year later...

Archived