Trailering questions

My question relates to surge brakes. I have a 1984 Triad trailer that came with my boat (#395). I haven't used it. It's got a lot of rust, needs new tires and lights, but I think it's basically sound. I don't think the surge brakes work.

I will be transporting the boat on a triennial 300 mile round trip, and I don't want problems. I don't anticipate other trips, so I don't want to spend any more than I have to.

I'm arranging to have it painted, new tires mounted, and the bearings serviced and replaced if needed, and new lights.

North Carolina requires brakes on a towed vehicle in excess of 4,000 pounds. I don't think the J22 and trailer weigh that much. It would save a good bit of money to remove the old surge brakes and not replace them. Is this foolish?

I will be towing with a Toyota Tundra, on level, uncrowded roads, and I will drive like an old lady.

If you feel comfortable in the stopping cababilities of the Tundra while towing the 22, save the money and go sailing more. I drive a Chevy 1/2 ton and have towed my 22 around Texas, stops fine, I give myself a little extra room and it has come in handy twice (had an extra foot to spare). Remember, it's not necessairly how you drive, it's the idiot in the other vehicle you have to worry about.

Brant

The boat and trailer are about 3000lb. No need for extra brakes with the Tundra unless you feel you need them.

I had a triad trailer of like age (#442). I recently had it sandblasted and repainted. Some of the joints were about to crack/fail from rust, and had to be reinforced. FYI...

Archived