Bass Boat (a.k.a. low freeboard) Fenders

The past weekend at the ABYC Open Regatta it was suggested to me by another J22 that I get "Bass Boat" a.k.a. "Low freeboard" fenders (the ones that wrap over the hull edge). I've looked at the models available at Bass Pro and they measure 5" in diameter and 14" in length. The class regulations indicate that the fenders must be 6" in diameter and 16" in length. Does this mean I should keep 2 sets of fenders on board? Do people actually carry 2 sets or is there a "Gentlemen's" agreement that no-one will protest another boat because of illegal fenders...I'm certainly O.K. with that? Are the class regulations likely to be updated to allow this model of fender?

Guest Chrsi Doyle

Brian:

In my old 22 I had two sets of fenders: the class minimum model that was on board the boat all the time, and two of the large accorn (mooring buoy) fenders that I used when I was at the dock. I ususally left the big accorns on the dock while racing.

My new J/22 came equipped with smaller accorn fenders which work great. They are substantially bigger than what is required by the class, but I am willing to carry the extra 1.5 lbs to protect the hull and be a good raft neighbor.

If you find that the bass boat fenders work for you, you can either carry a set of class legal fenders too, or risk being protested. If the sub-spec bass boat fenders actually work (and I do not doubt that they do) I wouldn't protest you. Frankly, if you're rafted next to me, I'd rather that you have non-conforming fenders that work than conforming fenders that don't work.

I would hope most people would give you a warning before protesting you on something like this.

If you mean the type fenders that have a kinda hook over the top, a friend of mine saw them at a boat show years ago and gave me a couple. (He certainly treats me better than I do him.)

I have been using them for quite some time and find them very effective. Rather than worry too much about measuring I took the approach that they are long enough for class rules when the tape is placed at the tip and follows the curve to the bottom. (Length is a relative thing, ask any woman.) Mine actually measures to the 6" diameter when properly inflated (the fender that is) .

Were I carrying two extremely small and ineffective fenders to save weight and beat the rule thus endangering other boats which I may raft up to, I would worry. That is not the case at all so I remain blissfully ignorant as of this writing. Have fun. vic

Archived