Mainsail feeder

I have a mainsail feeder on my boat (#395). It slides into the mast groove, and it held by tightening some screws. There are two ss egg-shaped rollers that guide the luff rope into the groove. They can be adjusted with a couple of set screws. Problem is they tend to bind and the sail gets stuck on the way up; if I loosen the rollers so everything runs freely, the rollers fall off.

I like having the feeder, since when it works, it makes single handing easier. I don't do any racing except occasional around the buoy stuff. I'm thinking of one of two options:

1) replace the feeder with a new one from Spinlock. It looks good and APS says they'll take it back if I don't like it.

2) have slides put on the mainsail luff, so there is no feeding to worry about.

I'd be interested in your ideas, comments and suggestions. Thanks.

Guest Chris Doyle

I have often thought--and said--that the hardest crewing job on a J/22 is getting the mainsail raised. Almost every other aspect of sailing a J/22 can be easily done with one person. I think the less expensive approach will be the feeder, and frankly, I think the feeder may be better for you in the long run. If you get slugs, you'll need to devise a closure for the opening in the grove into which you are currently placing the bolt rope. Or you"ll need to place a stop at the bottom of the track just above the opening. If you don't do one of these two things, the slugs will fall out of the mast every time you take down the mainsail.

Were I you, I would also consider a feeder that is not mounted in the mainsail track. Feeders are also used for boats with groved head foils, and the feeders for those are typically attached by line. Those feeders may be cheaper, and you could tie it to the gooseneck.

Were I you, I would also consider a feeder that is not mounted in the mainsail track. Feeders are also used for boats with groved head foils, and the feeders for those are typically attached by line. Those feeders may be cheaper, and you could tie it to the gooseneck.

You're right about putting slides on the luff. Unless I dealt with the opening in the groove, the furled sail material would be resting so high in the groove that I would need a new sail cover too.

I think I see what you mean about the feeders for head foils. Do you have any suggestions as to brand, model, size, etc?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I ordered the Spinlock Mainsail Feeder from Annapolis Performance, and tried it out yesterday. What a difference! The sail practically raised itself. OK, I exaggerate, but it could not have worked better. I highly recommend it.

It takes a screw driver and about two minutes to install it in the luff groove of the mast.

One additional time-saver for mainsail hoisting is available to those who use cockpit covers, as we do; and sail frequently, as we dream of doing...

You can avoid rolling and unrolling the mainsail by just lightly flaking it as it drops. We "trap" the forward end of our beercan series mainsail by the velcro'd position of the spin halyard on the Port rail. We even leave the halyard on it, but secure the halyard with a half hitch around the gooseneck, and then trap the halyard in the mast "neck" of the cover. We secure the whole works by donning the cockpit cover.

Our luffrope is siliconed, so it raises OK (with just a little bit of hand-help) without needing a feeder device. (We have one, but the main has gone up easily enough that we haven't installed it this year.)

Re: securing the Jib

We used to leave the jibsheets as they were, running through the blocks, and roll the jib, then flip it backwards into the cockpit before donning the cockpit cover. Now we've gotten 1 step quicker/lazier and merely cover it, on deck, still attached to the forestay, secured by the spinnaker bungees which are attached to the toerails.

Now, in less than 5 minutes, even using only 1 person, our boat can be sailing, so even in our short sailing season in Northern NY, I get more tiller-time. B)

• 1 year later...

I ordered the Spinlock Mainsail Feeder from Annapolis Performance, and tried it out yesterday. What a difference! The sail practically raised itself. OK, I exaggerate, but it could not have worked better. I highly recommend it.

It takes a screw driver and about two minutes to install it in the luff groove of the mast.

Lucky for you I bought the Spinlock and it gets stuck passing through the cunningham in the sail

• 2 months later...

Single handed main launching: I find if I stand port of the mast facing aft with the main hanging to the starboard and use one hand to pull up directly from the main halyard sheave at the mast base and the other hand to feed, it works great. I just take long pulls with my right arm, rest a minute, grab another bunch of halyard and repeat. It also helps to spray some silicon spray on the luff line. No feeder needed.

The harder job is feeding the foot down the boom single handed. the first few feet is easy, but then as pull from the back of the boom the foot line starts to jam at the front of the boom and you have to go forward and fix it a few times.

Archived