2:1 Jib sheets

Hi

I've been luggage tagging my jib sheets, but my middle is a bit light and needs the winch handle even in light to medium air. I read on the North website that Greg Fisher used the 2:1 system and seemed to like it, and I was thinking of trying it out to reduce the sheet loads. Three questions though:

(1) Are the blocks really needed on the sail? I was told that two Ti-Lites were the way to go.

(2) are there any negatives with respect to trimming (e.g. specifically controlling leech tension)?

(3) Does anyone have the proper line length for a 2:1 setup?

Thanks to any and all who respond.

I have some Ti-Lites that I sometimes luggage tag onto my jib clew for 2:1 purchase. I have only used them on the class jib, usually when single handing. On the class jib, sheet length hasn't been an issue, but I could see it being one with a larger jib.

See November 2007 post in the Archive for details.

Hi

I've been luggage tagging my jib sheets, but my middle is a bit light and needs the winch handle even in light to medium air. I read on the North website that Greg Fisher used the 2:1 system and seemed to like it, and I was thinking of trying it out to reduce the sheet loads. Three questions though:

(1) Are the blocks really needed on the sail? I was told that two Ti-Lites were the way to go.

(2) are there any negatives with respect to trimming (e.g. specifically controlling leech tension)?

(3) Does anyone have the proper line length for a 2:1 setup?

Thanks to any and all who respond.

I just tried out the 2:1 and thought I'd answer my own questions for any who were curious.

(1) Yes, the Ti-Lite blocks are needed. If the sheets were run through the clew, they would have had too much friction to work properly. It just wouldn't have worked without the blocks.

(2) No real negatives to running 2:1, other than the PITA factor and cost. They definitely dropped the sheet loads. The resulting trim was fine - the jib car was moved back a bit from the previous position to take the block into account, and the leech tension looked the same as before.

(3) I bought 25 foot sheets, and they were at least 3 feet too long - probably more.

• 3 years later...

Archived