155 Genoa Report

Well I promised everyone a report on the 155 genoa by Quantum, for those who run PHRF races.

The 155 is kevlar, nice yellow color, looks great on the boat. Lot's of "thumbs up" comments from the other boats. Had to put extra jib tracks in. You need longer jibsheets also.

Performance wise it seemed to be quite fast. In 8 kts wind we were 5.5 into the wind, and on a broad reach maxed out at 6.4 kts. Going wing on wing it seemed to pull very strong. Pointing ability seemed less than optimal, but in talking with Terry Flynn one needs to tighten the rig/headstay tension vs the class jib. Sometimes we had to coax it around the mast to tack.

The location of the jib sheet tracks tends to mix up the genoa/spinnaker sheets. Ends up being a snake orgy on either side of the cockpit.

Guest jhuus
Well I promised everyone a report on the 155 genoa by Quantum, for those who run PHRF races.

The 155 is kevlar, nice yellow color, looks great on the boat. Lot's of "thumbs up" comments from the other boats. Had to put extra jib tracks in. You need longer jibsheets also.

Performance wise it seemed to be quite fast. In 8 kts wind we were 5.5 into the wind, and on a broad reach maxed out at 6.4 kts. Going wing on wing it seemed to pull very strong. Pointing ability seemed less than optimal, but in talking with Terry Flynn one needs to tighten the rig/headstay tension vs the class jib. Sometimes we had to coax it around the mast to tack.

The location of the jib sheet tracks tends to mix up the genoa/spinnaker sheets. Ends up being a snake orgy on either side of the cockpit.

Guest jhuus

Apparently in PHRF-LO a 155 genoa would subtract 6 from FS (so 159 instead of 165 with a spinnaker) and 12 from NFS (so 189 instead of 201 without).

Apparently in PHRF-LO a 155 genoa would subtract 6 from FS (so 159 instead of 165 with a spinnaker) and 12 from NFS (so 189 instead of 201 without).

In my club boats are allowed up to 160 genoa no correction. They gave me a flat 186 with spinnaker, and will allow 195 without chute. The sail performed well enough downwind that I think I will race genoa/NS next time, especially as I sail short handed most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

How much did you tighten the forestay; i.e. how many times tighter than with class jib - such as twice as tight?

How much did you tighten the forestay; i.e. how many times tighter than with class jib - such as twice as tight?

Terry suggested adjusting the forstay and shrouds 2 levels tighter than the settings for the class jib. I haven't had a chance to try it out.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest_Deeken53_*

I am resigning myself to the fact that I need to start using a 155 in my local fleet just to compete.

Can someone provide me with the correct jib sheet track placement.

Thanks

Guest Guest_scottydog_*
I am resigning myself to the fact that I need to start using a 155 in my local fleet just to compete.

Can someone provide me with the correct jib sheet track placement.

Thanks

Yea the stock jib is so weak a 155 is essential IMO for light air phrf racing.

I'm not sure but I imagine track location may depend on the genny. For quantum the new jib track starts 14” aft of the cabin, and 2” lateral from the teak seat , and goes back parallel to the teak. I put in a 2' track.

Give Terry Flynn a call, he'll fix you up.

Guest Guest_Deeken53_*
Yea the stock jib is so weak a 155 is essential IMO for light air phrf racing.

I'm not sure but I imagine track location may depend on the genny. For quantum the new jib track starts 14” aft of the cabin, and 2” lateral from the teak seat , and goes back parallel to the teak. I put in a 2' track.

Give Terry Flynn a call, he'll fix you up.

Thanks for the input,

Terry here I come.

Thanks for the input,

Terry here I come.

The kevlar sail is light yellow, looks great, pulls hard. Huge difference in 3-8 kts. You'll also need longer jib sheets, and the sheets take some getting used to going back up to the winch. Not cheap, but as the saying goes "you wants to play you gots to pay". lol

Terry is the man, tell him Scott Mack from California says hi! Be sure and ask about tuning the rigging.

• 2 months later...
Terry suggested adjusting the forstay and shrouds 2 levels tighter than the settings for the class jib. I haven't had a chance to try it out.

Terry

What do you mean by 2 levels tighter? If you use the base setting (for 12 knots) what would 2 levels tighter be using a Loos Pro PT1?

Guest Terry Flynn

What I mean by this is that with the class jib we need a looser rig to power up the boat in the light winds. When you add a 155% genoa you have already added power to the rig with the added sail area. Also remember that the class jib is a few feet short on the hoist and the genoa is full hoist.

I think a good starting point on the rig for a 155% genoa would be 28 on the uppers, 25 on the lowers and 12 on the headstay.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at

Terry Flynn

Quantum Sail Design

Office. 281-474-4168

Mobile 713-906-5497

Archived