extracting Mast step sheaves pins

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I just did this to replace mast step sheaves. I had two separate pins for port and starboard sheaves...which I think they all will since the sheaves are angled outboard. We had to tap #8 fasteners into the end of the exposed pin. Use lots of lubricants and some heat(didn't care about melting sheaves since they got replaced) and a gentle pull on the #8 fastener in the pin with vice grips to get the pin to slide out. Don't lose the pin and don't lose the cover plates that keep the pin captive. The hole pattern on the mast step will be hard to copy onto a new plate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone has dimensions on the sheaves? Did replacing them make a big difference? Mine spin freely if lubricated, but my boat was made in 1983 so who knows the condition. Can be difficult to get the main up but there can be other causes ... Also, there is a dedicated tool one can buy to extract roll pins (actually I believe they are called coiled springs) that isn't very expensive -- but does anyone know the size to use?

• 7 months later...
On 10/24/2021 at 7:02 AM, aalkon said:

Anyone has dimensions on the sheaves? Did replacing them make a big difference? Mine spin freely if lubricated, but my boat was made in 1983 so who knows the condition. Can be difficult to get the main up but there can be other causes ... Also, there is a dedicated tool one can buy to extract roll pins (actually I believe they are called coiled springs) that isn't very expensive -- but does anyone know the size to use?

rigrite.com has all the parts and sizes you need, here's the list of parts and sizes from their website...

Backstay Clevis Pin / Sheave Pin - 1/4" x 15/16" grip : CP4-28K:

Main Halyard Sheave - Aluminum w/ Bushing 1 3/4" OD : HS PR-11180:

Main halyard / Jib Box SS sheave Spacer, 3/8" OD : BS64-34:

T-Ball Backing Plate Tangs Gib 740 - All Shrouds : Gib 740-5:

T-Ball Rubber Retaining Plug for Gib 740-5 : Gib 742-5:

Jib Box Ass'y, Complete, w/ 5/16" Pin : HS PR-7625A:

Jib Box / Forestay Clevis Pin - 5/16" x 1" grip : CP5-32:

Jib / Spinnaker halyard Sheave - 1 7/16" OD : PP S5.3D8-6:

Jib Box Sheave Roll Pin Axle, 1/4" : RRP 08-16: