recoring around the mast step

Guest Kris Z

Guest Kris Z

I am cracking into the first of several mast step repairs for my J22 Fleet at SDYC this year and before I go doing something foolish, I wanted to ask if you knew how the boat was put together in the area.  I have recored around mast steps before  to fix squishy deck to the left or the right side but don't know what is directly above the compression post/below the base plate.  The little gem I'm working on has compromised skin around the compression post, evident from down below and some cracking evident from up top.  Has anyone here tackled this repair? I've never removed a compression post and am nervous about fixing from below - in case i don't get everything laminated tight and true i might not be able to get the post back in (at least that is my fear). 

IMG_5780.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

Don't quote me please. There has been some controversy about this repair in the past and whether such a repair will invalidate your measurement certificate. You may laugh but but once you repair this the boat, it may/should be stronger than stock and so it may be hard to get a new certificate. I suspect this matters little to you for your needs but it may change the resale value of the boat if it has been altered from stock and no longer a class legal J22.

The J22 rules are strict on modifications from "as supplied by the builder".  Unfortunately a little grey area exists under the guise of "repairs". I'd prefer the boat to remain a J22. I have always wanted to go to a North American Championship on the west coast (like San Francisco!)

From your picture it looks like repairs are in order. From the dark line around the cracks I would be concerned with moisture in the core. The exact layup schedule for construction is proprietary information from J boats to the builder, They don't give out this info. I can not help you there. If you have a friend at Waterline or J boats they might be able to help you, but I doubt it.

I have sailed many NOOD regattas at your club and once on the 22's you have in a match race event (love your seahood layouts). One or two of your boats even came from Minnesota.

I would suggest you repair as best you can matching as much as possible what you find when you peel it apart. As for getting the compression strut back in place, I've heard rumors (pure rumors) that they flex the cabin top up a bit to fit the post in.

Good Luck

Thanks for your feedback Lars and I had to do a quick recore to get me through the Rose Cup and POW quals.  Fixed all of the broken skin inside and praying nothing collapses or recracks before June ends.  This is hull #25 we are talking about here so I'm guessing I haven't seen the end of this issue yet and now that you've said what you said about the compression post, I am going to keep hacking my way through this way; piece by piece from up top. 

If y'all want to come out and sail in January, we could put something together but of course, nothing will be class legal down here lol. 

• 6 months later...

I did this when I needed to fix something or other. The plates (both upper and lower) have circular inserts that fit inside the tube. You only need to deflect the deck 1/2” to pop out the post. You can use a car jack and a cut-down 4 x 4.  

Or you can pop out the bolts and just slide it out. 

I'll be sure to post some photos of the job. Thanks for the advice.

One other concern is the legality of the boat once the bulkheads and core around the chain plates and under the mast step have been rebuilt. Plan is to use bulsa core to match original and use 3/4" okume marine ply to replace the bulkheads. Will it be legal provided documentation of the repairs?