lifelines

I sail on a smooth lake. I'm thinking of removing my lifelines and stern rail. Any thoughts or comments?

I removed my lifelines for one-design racing right after I purchased my boat. The short time they were on the boat I found them to be minimally effective. It seemed they just hit you on your lower leg to flip you over the side rather than just falling off. Anyway, we have not missed them even for family/guest day sailing. We mostly sail on Lake Ontario and travel to quite a few away regattas. Heavy weather and waves have not been a problem without lifelines. YMMV Hope this does some good. vic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Harrison

Thanks for the reply. As to method, I'm thinking of removing the stern rail and stanchions, and the re-inserting the bolts with bedding compound and washers between the bolt head and deck. Sound reasonable?

I removed my lifelines for one-design racing right after I purchased my boat. The short time they were on the boat I found them to be minimally effective. It seemed they just hit you on your lower leg to flip you over the side rather than just falling off. Anyway, we have not missed them even for family/guest day sailing. We mostly sail on Lake Ontario and travel to quite a few away regattas. Heavy weather and waves have not been a problem without lifelines. YMMV Hope this does some good. vic

• 7 months later...
Guest scott882
Thanks for the reply. As to method, I'm thinking of removing the stern rail and stanchions, and the re-inserting the bolts with bedding compound and washers between the bolt head and deck. Sound reasonable?

The former owner of 882 made four, 1/4 inch aluminum ovals and 4 bolted them thru the stanchion holes. Inside the nuts are up against a plywood plate. Caulked as well.

Archived